Monday, October 13, 2008

Week #4 Reminders

Well, for better or worse, I'm here all week and will continue to be here every day until my last conference at the end of the quarter. Therefore, I'll be reminding you of what you need to do in class each day, but I'll continue to post a few of the key due dates/reminders each week.

For this week:

1. I'll be collecting notebooks (or half the notebooks, anyway) on Friday. See the list (right side) for what I'll be expecting you to have completed by Oct. 17. Remember that you need to have entries for EACH assigned reading out of Ch. 1 of The Changing World of Work. (The assigned readings for each class are listed in a previous post--scroll down or look in "Archive"; the reading journal assignment is on p. 3 of syllabus, 3rd bullet point.) I decided NOT to add entries for this week's Troubleshooting readings (ch. 24 + a chapter of your choice from Part III) because you will be discussing your self-selected chapter in your cover letter, so you just need three entries from TS (Into./Ch. 1, Chs. 2 - 4, and Chs. 5 - 7) by Fridy.

2. Our first seminar is Friday. All individuals should have the four articles read and their journal entries complete. The group leading the discussion should be extra-prepared with additional questions and a plan for how they'd like the discussion to go and how to get the class involved. Seminaring counts for 10% of your course grade and is evaluated individually, whole class, and, on the week you lead the discussion, small group. If you're absent on a seminar day, you cannot make up those missed points.

3. A few of you missed or didn't have a draft for peer review. The only way to regain credit is to schedule an appointment in the Writing Center to have your essay reviewed before revising it for teacher review. Your Essay #1 is due THURSDAY for teacher review, and you should attach a cover letter and your peer review sheets (or Writing Center consultation slip) to your revised draft when you turn it in.

Also, just FYI, I posted the assignments for Essay #1 (profile essay), Essay #2 (career report--it will be handed out Thursday), and the Cover Letter (it will be handed out Tuesday) below in case you need an extra copy.

No comments: