Monday, October 20, 2008

Week #5 Preview

This week, we'll be working on developing Essay #2 (due Monday, 10/27, for peer review) as well as continuing work on seminaring and notebooks. On Weds. and Thurs. this week, we'll do some work on MLA documentation, and to prepare for that work, I'd like you all to read p. 69 in TCWOW, "Children Left Behind." (That will also put you ahead on seminar prep, but I don't need your notebook entry by Weds.; I just need you to be familiar with the article for quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, and citing practice.)

Monday, I also handed out information on how to write a "thank you" letter, something I encourage you to send to your interviewees (or those you job shadowed). You will need to include a typed copy of your thank you letter(s) in the appendix of your final portfolio; however, I'm happy to take a look at what you've done before that if you'd like advice on how to improve.

As I mentioned in class today, I'm not where I'd hoped to be on commenting on Essay #1 due to a funeral (and related activities) this past weekend. My goal is still to finish the essay grading by Friday, but the reality is, I may need another weekend to get them all done. I'll do my best . . .

Finally, here are the additions to your notebook for this week:
  • From Troubleshooting, two entries, one "revision"-related (Ch. 8 or a chapter in Part III) and one "editing"-related (a chapter in Part IV).
  • Essay #2 pre-writing (you choose the type of pre-writing and/or outlining you prefer)
  • Entries for each reading (see list below) out of TCWOW (four total entries)

No comments: